So, you have decided to go on a road trip.
As you probably already know, your car will need a certain amount of preparations for an adventure like this. In addition to making sure you’ve brought all the necessary clothes and supplies, you need to keep your vehicle’s parts in check, as well as make sure you have all the necessary equipment. This article will guide you through all the necessary checks, in order to make sure you are ready for everything the road has in store for you.
- Smartphone – Everything regarding road trips can be covered by simply having a proper smartphone. When you have the Internet on your side, your life gets much easier.
- Map – Yes, it is a widespread belief that these have been made obsolete by smartphones, but you never know when you’re going to run out of phone battery, or get into a life-threatening situation. Maps save lives.
- First aid kit – Even though these are required by law, even in urban travel, many neglect the importance of this vital, life-saving aspect. You never know when you might need an emergency kit.Spare parts – Things such as extra fuses, oil and spare tyres can make your life a whole lot easier.
- Fluids – While gasoline is the liquid that makes a car move, it isn’t the only fluid a vehicle requires. Make sure that you have things such as engine oil, transmission fluid, coolant, brake fluid, radiator coolant, power steering fluid and windshield washer fluid covered, in addition to gas.
- Hoses and belts – These things are what keeps the whole vehicle together – a loose connection can disable your entire vehicle, so make sure that you keep all hoses and belts tightly secured.
- Tyres – A crucial part of your vehicle, the tyres keep it moving. The only car part that’s in touch with the road (or at least it should be), making sure that tyres are well-maintained and under appropriate pressure can save you a whole lot of trouble. You can check the tyre pressure your vehicle can withstand by referring to the number on each tyre’s side, just make sure you are aware of the fact that this number isn’t recommended, but maximum allowed. You can learn a lot about tyres on this blog.
- Lights – Now this part doesn’t include only headlights, but blinkers, as well as interior lighting in addition. While not having a functioning tail light is only punishable by law in urban areas, maintaining all the vehicle lights can save lives on roads with variable illumination.
- Brakes – This step goes without saying – brakes are not only crucial for your vehicle’s movement, but also the last line of defence on the road. It is advised that you have an expert mechanic check your brake functionality and wear-and-tear.
- Battery – This step is vital, especially if you plan on taking on a winter trip. In cold weather, your engine needs more spark in order to start up. If you like to enjoy things such as music and/or have a DVD player in your car, you should always keep your battery in check.
- Gauges – Gauges and meters are the main line of communication between you and your vehicle. Using malfunctioning gauges can lead you into believing that everything is functional in your car, even if there are more than a several car parts that are not fit for driving.
So there you have it, a list of vital things that you’ll need for taking on a road trip. However, there is plenty more information available online you can look into. Of course, consulting your mechanic is more than recommended, in addition.