Travelling alone can be particularly enjoyable and affordable. Because we are going to go to places where people go and communicate with locals, travelling alone doesn’t necessarily make us feel lonely. Here are things we should do:
- Choose a guided tour: Because, we are travelling alone, it is quite possible for us to get a bit overwhelmed and some early solo travellers could be less confident about travelling alone.
- Break the ice: Travelling alone could be rather challenging for people who are not too outgoing. In this case, we should stretch outside of our comfort zone and listen for things. Human are supposed to communicate with one another, so it is probably a good idea to learn how to approach strangers in a friendly manner and start conversations with them.
- Bring a journal: Solo travellers often have more time to reflect, so it would be a good idea to have a journal, so we could document our experiences while we are resting on the location. When we arrive at the hotel, we could post our journal and overall experience on our blog or social media, so friends and family members can get an update on things that we do.
- Perform exercise: People who are travelling alone should become more active physically, instead of staying too long in the hotel run. Before a trip, we could have some brisk walk around the hotel or at nearby beach. There’s nothing like beautiful scenery and fresh air to start our day and vacation.
- Explore our artistic side: We may never think about taking artistic photographs, writing poetry and making sketches with pencils. Because we are all alone, it is a good idea to start to be a little artistic.
- Learn local language: Vacation can be a good opportunity to expand our intellectual capacity. We could practice local language and we shouldn’t be afraid about making some mistakes while doing so.
- Meet the locals: There are many opportunities to visit the locals and transportation should be a great way to meet them, especially bus and train. When we are in an enclosed space with locals for more than an hour, we should try to communicate them. Most locals would be intrigued when foreigners try to speak with them in their local language. If we want to be sociable, we should go to places where locals gather. Obviously, we shouldn’t ignore the opportunity to meet other travellers and we may actually have the opportunity to join them, so our trip won’t be totally alone. There could be TV sets in these bars and fellow travellers could gather when there are important international scale matches, like soccer events.
It is clear that our trip shouldn’t become a solitary, self-pity party. It can be an exhilarating, social-oriented activity, even if we are travelling alone. There are many people to meet and places to visit, so we won’t run out of options while we are travelling in these places.